Manchester City’s Benjamin Mendy moved to infamous maximum-security Strangeways


Manchester City’s Benjamin Mendy transferred to notorious maximum security Strangeways prison “for his own protection” as he awaits trial for rape

  • Manchester City footballer Benjamin Mendy transferred to high security prison
  • Footballer now charged with a total of seven rapes and sexual assault
  • Went to HMP Manchester prison, commonly known as Strangeways










Manchester City footballer Benjamin Mendy was transferred to a high security prison days before Christmas amid fears for his safety.

The 27-year-old, who is now charged with seven counts of rape and one count of sexual assault, was transferred to the infamous HMP Manchester prison, commonly known as Strangeways, on December 23.

The footballer was transferred to Manchester’s high security men’s prison at HMP Altcourse in Liverpool a day after the seventh rape charge was brought against him.

Mendy’s co-accused, Louis Saha Matturie, 40, was also reportedly transferred to Category A prison at the same time, reports The Sun.

Manchester City footballer Benjamin Mendy, who is now charged with a total of seven rapes and sexual assault, was transferred to the notorious HMP prison in Manchester last month

A source told The Sun: “Mendy and Matturie have both been moved because their case is highly publicized.

“This can lead to security and management issues for prisoners and it was felt that Category A conditions could be better equipped to deal with any potential problems.

“The prison administration has a responsibility to manage detainees in the safest way possible. ”

Last month, the footballer was charged with a seventh count of rape by a new plaintiff.

The charges now relate to five complainants over the age of 16 and are believed to have taken place between October 2020 and August 2021.

Co-accused Louis Saha Matturie, 40, is charged with six counts of rape and one of sexual assault.

The charges against him concern four plaintiffs over the age of 16 and allegedly took place between March 2021 and August 2021.

Mendy and Matturie were due to stand trial on January 24, but last month Judge Patrick Thompson said that date seemed “unrealistic”.

The France international was previously taken into custody at HMP Altcourse in Liverpool after being charged with four counts of rape and sexual assault on August 26.

The footballer was transferred to Manchester's infamous HMP prison, commonly known as Strangeways, on 23 December.

The footballer was transferred to Manchester’s infamous HMP prison, commonly known as Strangeways, on 23 December.

At a previous hearing, his lawyer Christopher Stables said he vigorously denied the allegations.

Premier League champions City spent £ 49.2million to sign Mendy for the French side of Monaco in 2017.

In September last year, City boss Pep Guardiola revealed that Mendy would be out of the game for at least a month due to injury.

City then suspended the left-back after being charged.

In a statement, the club said: “Manchester City can confirm that after being charged by police today, Benjamin Mendy has been suspended pending an investigation.

“The matter is the subject of legal proceedings and the club are therefore not in a position to make any further comments until these proceedings are completed.”